Monday, October 11, 2010

welcome wagon!

So I hold a lot of strong opinions on fashion. I always have. To be honest, I LOVE clothing and style. I know a lot of people who think it's vain, or shallow, or an unnecessary waste of money and effort (even my beloved Henry David Thoreau said, 'Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" .. my apologies to you, HDT).

Naturally, I disagree. Perhaps this statement is overdone, but people don't realize that fashion is an art - no less an art than, say, painting or sculpture. Fashion, like the aforementioned crafts, is a visual form of self-expression, except it utilizes people and practicality. I would venture to say that each and every fashion designer or stylist is undoubtedly an artist.

There was a time that I wanted a career somewhere in the fashion industry cause, well .. I loved clothes! I still do. So to fuel this passion, I attended the Fashion Institute of Technology as an advertising and marketing communications major. However, I soon realized that it wasn't exactly my calling (turns out just because you dress well doesn't mean you need to WORK in fashion .. go figure). So now, I'm a film production student at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, and loving every minute of it!

BUT (there's always a 'but', isn't there?) - there's a void in me; an empty spot that used to be filled by living in the fashion capitol of Manhattan. Connecticut private college? Not necessarily the epitome of the style variety I became accustomed to in the Big Apple. Frankly, only a handful of people here actually care about it .. I have all these thoughts, but no one to tell!

So now there's this: Jersey Fresh. A place to rant, rave, and recommend about anything related to the wonderful world and works of everyday fashion. For anyone who's ever asked, "Sara, where did you get that top?" or, "Sara, do you think this looks okay?" or, "Sara .. are you seriously wearing that?" - this is for you.

Read on.


No comments: